• Recent Posts
  • Pages
  • Tags
  • You can appeal the ESC's decision if you don't agree with your monetary determination.

    What happens if you are denied unemployment benefits? First, do not despair. There are still steps you can take to solve your situation. For example, maybe you were unsuccessful because your employer claims you were fired due to stealing, missing work or some other misdemeanor. That would cause the Employment Security Commission to consider you responsible for losing your job. The ESC will only grant you unemployment benefits if you are unemployed due to no fault of your own.

    Who to appeal to?

    If you are not satisfied with the North Carolina Employment Security Commission’s decision on your claim you can contact them by mail (snail mail) or email.

    Email: esc.public.appeals@ncmail.net

    Mailing Address:

    Appeals Department,

    PO Box 25903,

    Raleigh, NC27611

    The Process

    1) Send your appeal request. You can appeal an unsuccessful monetary determination (that is the document you were sent that said you did not qualify for benefits) by sending a letter providing your name, reference number (provided in the monetary determination) and reason why you believe you should qualify for benefits.

    2) Wait for a reply. The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina will reply (using the same medium you used to send your appeal) and provide you with details on the location and time of your appeal hearing.

    3) Attend the hearing. All interested parties should attend the appeals hearing regardless of the outcome of the nonmonetary determination. This may include your employer. The Appeals Referee’s decision, which replaces the previously issued nonmonetary determination, will be based solely on sworn testimony and evidence presented at the appeals hearing.

    4) Provide relevant documents that support your claim for employment benefits.

    You (or your employer) may appeal the Appeals Referee’s decision to the Employment Security Commission. Although the Commission will not allow any new evidence or testimony to be introduced into the record, it may allow interested parties to make oral arguments. Normally, the Commission will issue a decision that either affirms or reverses the Appeals Referee’s decision. However, the Commission may, on occasion, remand a case back to the Appeals Referee for additional testimony and/or a new decision.

    5) Wait for the Commission’s decision. This should take a maximum of 30 days unless an interested party files a petition for judicial review in Superior Court.

    If you have any more questions about the processes, contact your local office or call the Adjudication Unit at (919) 707-1367, Appeals Department at (919) 707-1060, or the Legal Department at (919) 733-4636.

    No Comments

    No comments yet.

    RSS feed for comments on this post.

    Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.